Close or press ESC
Planning permission obtained for the restoration of the historic Herne Hill Velodrome, including refurbishment of the facilities on-site, and the provision of a new pavilion.
The Herne Hill Velodrome is the only remaining 1948 Olympic venue still in existence and is incredibly important to the cycling community with many of Britain’s top riders having cycled there. Plans for a new two storey building and the reconfiguration of existing cycle stores were developed by Hopkins Architects as the final phase of a long-term project for the Trust; to safeguard the historic facilities for future generations.
As the building is very much a community facility, it was imperative that the local community as well as the stakeholders were satisfied with the design. The Trust held a number of public exhibitions prior to the submission of the application, which confirmed widespread support of the scheme. The application was unanimously approved.
Client: Herne Hill Velodrome Trust
LPA: LB Southwark
Architect: Hokpins Architects