Oval Gasworks; approved enhancements
We were appointed by Berkeley Homes Central in 2019 to develop the detailed design of an existing consent by Grid Architects.
Rolfe Judd Architects and Rolfe Judd Planning have revisited the initial scheme design and obtained consents for a number of enhancements and changes.
The changes include:
- The reconfiguration of the commercial layout at ground floor activating the central spine of the masterplan and façade enhancements to the Oval Works building on Vauxhall Street. Landsec have now agreed terms with the client to take ownership of the building on completion.
- Provision of two means of escape for apartments, to respond to new fire safety regulations announced this year.
- Creation of additional homes with sensitive additions to the scheme maintaining 35% affordable across the site.
- Redesign of the residential building set within the listed gas holder guide frame.
- Enhancement of landscape and roof terraces alongside HTA.
- Replacement of site wide CHP strategy with Air Source heat pumps.
- Enhancing façade design, to creating a greater sense of identity on a block by block basis and improving the buildings hierarchy defining a base, middle and top more clearly.